Dr. Barry Musikant examines the techniques and solutions of two instrumentation systems, using the literature and illustrated cases
It’s not a contradiction until you realize it is. Greater tapered rotary nickel-titanium (NiTi) shaping has produced a mechanical standard for cleansing and shaping canals.
It is only recently that research is documenting the weakening of the root via the removal of excess dentin, particularly in the mesiodistal plane due to the use of greater tapered instruments and the creation of dentinal microcracks in the process of shaping the canals with instruments in rotation, whether continuous or interrupted.
- Abou El Nasr HM, Abd El Kader KG. Dentinal damage and fracture resistance of oval roots prepared with single-file systems using different kinematics. J Endod. 2014;40(6):849-851.
- Adorno CG, Yoshioka T, Suda H. The effect of root preparation technique and instrumentation length on the development of apical root cracks. J Endod. 2009;35(3):389-392.
- Adorno CG, Yoshioka T, Suda H. The effect of working length and root canal preparation technique on crack development in the apical root canal wall. Int Endod J. 2010;43(4):321-327.
- Ashwinkumar V, Krithikadatta J, Surendran S, Velmurugan N. Effect of reciprocating file motion on microcrack formation in root canals: an SEM study. Int Endod J. 2014;47(7):622-627.
- Barreto MS, Moraes Rdo A, Rosa RA, Moreira CH, Só MV, Bier CA. Vertical root fractures and dentin defects: effects of root canal preparation, filling, and mechanical cycling. J Endod. 2012;38(8):1135-1139.
- Bier CA, Shemesh H, Tanomaru-Filho M, Wesselink PR, Wu MK. The ability of different nickel-titanium rotary instruments to induce dentinal damage during canal preparation. J Endod. 2009;35(2):236-238.
- Bürklein S, Tsotsis P, Schäfer E. Incidence of dentinal defects after root canal preparation: reciprocating versus rotary instrumentation. J Endod. 2013;39(4):501-504.
- Capar ID, Arslan H, Akcay M, Uysal B. Effects of ProTaper Universal, ProTaper Next, and HyFlex instruments on crack formation in dentin. J Endod. 2014;40(9):1482-1484.
- Çapar ID, Uysal B, Ok E, Arslan H. Effect of the size of the apical enlargement with rotary instruments, single-cone filling, post space preparation with drills, fiber post removal, and root canal filling removal on apical crack initiation and propagation. J Endod. 2015;41(2):253-256.
- Haueisen H, Gärtner K, Kaiser L, Trohorsch D, Heidemann D (2013) Vertical root fracture: prevalence, etiology, and diagnosis. Quintessence Int. 2013;44(7):467-474.
- Al-Zaka IM. The effects of canal preparation by different NiTi rotary instruments and reciprocating WaveOne file on the incidence of dentinal defects. M Dent J. 2012;9(2):137-142.
- Kansal R, Rajput A, Talwar S, Roongta R, Verma M. Assessment of dentinal damage during canal preparation using reciprocating and rotary files. J Endod. 2014;40(9):1443-1446.
- Karataş E, Gündüz HA, Kırıcı DÖ, Arslan H, Topçu MÇ, Yeter KY. Dentinal crack formation during root canal preparations by the Twisted File Adaptive, ProTaper Next, ProTaper Universal, and WaveOne instruments. J Endod. 2015;41(2):261-264.
- Kim HC, Lee MH, Yum J, Versluis A, Lee CJ, Kim BM. Potential relationship between design of nickel-titanium rotary instruments and vertical root fracture. J Endod. 2010;36(7):1195-1199.
- Krishna VN, Suneelkumar C, Madhusudhana K, Mathew VB, Reddy A, Babu L. Evaluation of dentinal damage after root canal preparation with ProTaper Universal, Twisted Files and Mtwo rotary systems – an in vitro study. Int J Med Appl Sci. 2014;3(4):146-151.
- Kumaran P, Sivapriya E, Indhramohan J, Gopikrishna V, Savadamoorthi KS, Pradeepkumar AR. Dentinal defects before and after rotary root canal instrumentation with three different obturation techniques and two obturating materials. J Conserv Dent. 2013;16(6):522-526.
- Liu R, Kaiwar A, Shemesh H, Wesselink PR, Hou B, Wu MK. Incidence of apical root cracks and apical dentinal detachments after canal preparation with hand and rotary files at different instrumentation lengths. J Endod. 2013;39(1):129-132.
- Mahran AH, AboEl-Fotouh MM. Comparison of effects of ProTaper, HeroShaper, and Gates Glidden Burs on cervical dentin thickness and root canal volume by using multislice computed tomography. J Endod. 2008;34(10):1219-1222.
- Pop I, Manoharan A, Zanini F, Tromba G, Patel S, Foschi F. Synchrotron light-based µCT to analyse the presence of dentinal microcracks post-rotary and reciprocating NiTi instrumentation. Clin Oral Investig. 2015;19(1):11-16.
- Shemesh H, Bier CA, Wu MK, Tanomaru-Filho M, Wesselink PR. The effects of canal preparation and filling on the incidence of dentinal defects. Int Endod J. 2009;42(3):208-213.
- Topçuoğlu HS, Düzgün S, Kesim B, Tuncay O. Incidence of apical crack initiation and propagation during the removal of root canal filling material with ProTaper and Mtwo rotary nickel-titanium retreatment instruments and hand files. J Endod. 2014;40(7):1009-1012.
- Yoldas O, Yilmaz S, Atakan G, Kuden C, Kasan Z. Dentinal microcrack formation during root canal preparations by different NiTi rotary instruments and the self-adjusting file. Journal of Endodontics. 2012;38(2):232-235.
- Zandbiglari T, Davids H, Schäfer E. Influence of instrument taper on the resistance to fracture of endodontically treated roots. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2006;101(1):126-131.
- Zelic K, Milovanovic P, Rakocevic Z, Askrabic S, Potocnik J, Popovic M, Djuric M. Nano-structural and compositional basis of devitalized tooth fragility. Dent Mater. 2014;30(5):476-486.